Pages

Concevoir une vie que vous aimez

Concevoir une vie que vous aimez

Concevoir une vie que vous aimez

Thursday, January 22, 2015

Night Café

I may be living far away, 6000 kilometres to be precise, but thanks to publications like Her.ie and basically everyone on my Twitter timeline (how did people read the news before Twitter? Srsly?) I manage to keep up to date with everything going on at home from new job openings (Twitter/My Mother), Varadkar coming out (#sexualorientation) and everything to do with any sort of water charges change or protest, in fairness, this is mostly down to my Father’s texts. 

Point is, I like to think I’m still up to date with what’s going on at home and this, THIS, is the greatest thing I’ve read about home since I got here and motivated me to say “It’s a really great place!!” to a taxi driver this morning about home, which would be fine, except he hadn’t asked!

A new Night Café opened last night in Dublin to lend a helping hand to those living on the streets. The service aims to help those who don’t have access to emergency homeless accommodation. Between 11pm and 7:30am there will be hot beverages and a light meal available along with advice, showers, health and social services.



The 50% increase in people sleeping rough in the capital this year and the tragic death of a homeless man on our streets back in December this is a much needed service around the capital, in particular, providing treatment and social services. A cup of tea is easily made, intervention and assisting with health not so much. This shows a compassion and awareness of others that I thought wasn't very present in our government and can only be a step in the right direction.

Kudos to the Dublin local authority and Merchants Quay!


0 comments: