Pages

Concevoir une vie que vous aimez

Concevoir une vie que vous aimez

Concevoir une vie que vous aimez

Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Bucket List Number Two

Below is my second column for our college newspaper. Enjoy!

Judging by the amount of people Facebook says has read “The Top 5 regrets of the dying” it is clear that I’m not the only one who is concerned about leaving here, college that is, with massive regrets. Regrets ranging from working too hard, it’s hard to imagine many people here suffering from that dilemma, to having the courage to express their feelings.


So take this as an excuse to skip a week of lectures and tell everyone you don’t like, just how much hatred you feel toward them. Don’t die with any regrets. That responsibility is on you but this article is to protect you from graduating college with no regrets! On that note I have gotten advice, with a lot of pestering and promises that I wouldn’t reveal their identity, from one of the wonderful Varsity college basketball coaches. Her advice is, true to form, to join as many clubs and societies as possible, all of which can be found through www.yourspace.nuigalway.ie.
She goes on to say that in particular for first years it is the best idea “There's so many clubs and societies to choose from it gives people a chance to try something new. From a clubs perspective, most have beginners levels so you're mixed in with people who will be as clueless as yourself!” Try out something you’ve never done before, something new, college is all about new experiences and meeting new types of people after all. As Helen Keller said “Life is either a daring adventure or nothing at all”
 She herself is glad she got involved with the basketball team, she claims that between the actual tournaments and games, the highlight being the Varsity Tournament in April, and the nights out for “team bonding” there’s never a dull moment! “I have had some of the craziest experiences since first year from this club!” And from what I can see she’s made some of the best friends. Unless you plan on living your college life ala Asher Roth getting involved is one of the most important things a student can and should do. We should constantly be participating in activities and groups that will be memorable so that we can have many a fond memory to look back on and friends to laugh about it with when we’re in the real world.
 The last thing she really wants to achieve, and most common aim when we hit college, is to graduate, with flying colours I presume 


 To get a totally opposite perspective on college life I’ve also enrolled Galway University Musical Society’s Sophie Connolly who is the director of the wonderful Spring Awakening this year. In her own words she says that college to a first year Arts student(her own course of choice) consists of drinking, drinking, making new friends, joining societies, drinking and if you have the time attending introductory lectures and choosing your subjects.

She advises indulging, enjoying your first year but at your own risk! Her plan was to pass first year, “which I can safely say I achieved…somehow”, behave responsibly without the influence of alcohol and to be part of as many societies as she could “and that’s when GUMS took over” When I got one of the lead roles in ‘The Wedding Singer’ I was shocked. I loved every minute of being in the musical so this year when GUMS where looking for a director for ‘Spring Awakening’ I jumped at the chance.
 Directing a musical and balancing college work has been difficult but I wouldn’t change it, I’d advise all first year students to get involved in GUMS or a society you really like. Directing Spring Awakening has been one of the most rewarding college experiences I’ve had. Like us all though, Sophie has regrets that extra curriculurs may ahve taken over her focus on college work, but it’s all relevant! I’m sure at some point I had dreams of getting 1st in my exams which is something I wish I had kept focused on and I also wish I had auditioned for more DramSoc shows; both goals I’m hoping to get around to this year. To new college students whatever you don’t get around to in 1st year there is always 2nd Year.

 The advice here is all given out at a guide to your new found freedom and opportunities. Trying everything out once is strongly recommended! Just try not to get arrested.


0 comments: