Pages

Concevoir une vie que vous aimez

Concevoir une vie que vous aimez

Concevoir une vie que vous aimez

Thursday, June 7, 2012

Flora Women's Mini Marathon

I completed the Flora Mini Marathon on Monday!!! I did it!! It was amazing. I have to say the atmosphere around Stephens Green was just insane.


The Flora Women's Mini Marathon is the biggest all women's event of its kind in the world. It has grown from its beginnings in 1983 with almost 9,000 participants to a staggering 40,057 women participating in 2011.





Since 1983 nearly 780,000 women have entered the event - and the Flora Women's Mini Marathon had a record field of over 40,000 in 2011. This event has grown as women’s interest in their own health and vitality has developed over the last three decades.
Indeed, it is not only women who have benefited from the event, but the charities are also the big winners. In 2011 it is estimated that almost €14m was raised by the participants bringing the total since the race started in 1983 close to €137m. All charities benefit as it is the women themselves who decide who they will support and many local causes gain vital revenue from the event. It is now the biggest single day charity event in the country.



I ran the marathon for Jigsaw Galway. Jigsaw is a counselling service for 15 to 25 year olds in Galway city in Ireland, the county I'm from. It's a fabulous service and it's run with no government funding whatsoever so it really needs all the help it can get. During my Leaving Certificate year I went there plenty and availed of their services quite frequently and I can honestly say that without it I'm not sure if I would have made it through the exams :) 

The lady I talked to was called Thelma, she was, without a doubt one of the most understanding and kind people I have ever talked to in the world. She listened and tried to help me in every way possible. I'm eternally grateful to her!!

Several of my friends completed the Mini Marathon and I'm so so proud of us. My housemates; Roisín and Reddin ran it for a rehab centre for stroke victims. My best friend and her cousin, Kate and Aoife ran it for Jack and Jill and my other best friend Lara and her friend Lorraine ran it for cancer support, my other best friend Aideen also walked it with her mother! While we may not have trained very hard we certainly tried our best when we were there, I ran six kilometers of the ten and I walked another four. There's no denying it was tough but our plan is to continue doing them, we want to run plenty more and hopefully raise plenty more money for charities around the country!


The feeling when you actually finish the run is just beyond belief. The relief is wonderful, I thought I was going to start tearing up, I really had to pull myself together. I understand how people get hooked on racing and marathons and all of them activities. Any other things that you think I should do I'd love any more suggestions!! I think everyone should definitely get involved in marathons and charity based activities!

0 comments: