Pages

Concevoir une vie que vous aimez

Concevoir une vie que vous aimez

Concevoir une vie que vous aimez

Thursday, June 21, 2012


Everything about moving out this summer seemed like the best idea in the world, the freedom, the saving on taxis, living with friends and being so much closer to work. The absolute dream, right? 



The only thing that I knew would bother me was that my internet connection would be down. Down, as in completely gone, for two whole weeks! How would I survive? How would I stay in contact with all of my acquaintances? How would I sort out my wages? How would I buy clothes? Most importantly, how would I maintain my incredible talent at creeping that I have cultivated over several study weeks over the years? As a result of my delight at moving in to my fabulous house I decided, with a pretty high level of optimism, I’d take it as a challenge. Could I live without the internet? Would I be happier? Would I be lonelier? Would I realise that doing things without the internet was more fun.


Monday was easy; admittedly, I turned on my computer several times to do something and realise half way through that no, I had no internet connection. I also may have flipped my Wi-Fi on my phone absentmindedly every time I was bored, which was my first realisation; do we go online to creep while pretending we’re doing something “productive” as we have all said on several occasions to our mothers.



It wasn’t until pay day on Wednesday when I realised that I legitimately had a use for the internet, I religiously check my balance after pay day to ensure that I have in fact gotten paid the right wages, I couldn’t do this this week and the effort, that massive colossal effort of moving out of bed and walking to the atm very nearly killed me. Fortunately, I did get paid, and quite generously, so inevitably I decided I’d go out on Thursday night. I made my way home again intent on surprising myself with a new pair of shoes for the weekend, and then I recalled, no internet to purchase said shoes on. Disaster. I had to make my way all the way back into town to try and buy shoes, that they didn’t have in my size, something which wouldn’t have happened online and if it had I could have spotted much faster and with ease.

After my successful Thursday night out my first aim was to creep on and hopefully, accept an add from someone I had met the night before. With the biggest smile on my face I stretched myself awake and reached for my laptop. I was seriously triumphant with my antics from the night before and then, bam, the depression hit, I HAD NO INTERNET. How was my triumphant night going to transform into a successful friendship if there was no internet to connect it? I also realised that it was difficult to maintain communication with acquaintances and even friends without chat on Facebook. Does that mean that we’re not actually friends or that we just no longer had time to talk to each other?



On Friday I decided I wanted to start Tag Rugby and got my Dad to research it, on the internet, of course, and then we realised you had to register online. Something I was unable to do. I then tried to call the beauticians to book an appointment and they directed me to the website to make a booking. Great!

By the time UPC arrived with the internet I was curled up in a shrivelled ball in the corner of my sitting room. I nearly passed out when I saw them come. I proceeded to spend the next four hours online and now, I am sick of it all again.

Through this unwanted experiment, I can’t decide, can we not live without the internet? Or have we fooled ourselves into thinking that? Is there too much dependency on the internet to stay in contact with people? Would it not be much easier to leave your house to do these things rather than setting up your laptop and ensuring you don’t meet anyone? I am still none the wiser, I just know, for that week I was internet less, everything seemed like a much bigger effort!

0 comments: